...only to find...
- 上一课
- 下一课
- 下载
- 报错
068. ... only to find...
……却发现……
[句型解析]
这也是个结果句型,表示意外的结局。“only”在这里起了强调的作用。有时我们也说“...to find”。
[实例]
1. I ran to the station only to find that the train had left.
我跑到火车站,却发现火车已经开走了。
2. She came home excitedly only to find nobody was in.
她兴冲冲地回到家里,却发现一个人也没有。
3. I search desperately for my purse, only to find all my money was gone.
我尽力找到了钱包,却发现钱都不见了。
4. I arrived at the restaurant, only to find I had no money on me.
我赶到餐馆,却发现没带钱。
[实战练习]
A: Why are you so late?
你怎么这么晚?
B: I'm sorry but I missed the bus.
对不起,我错过公共汽车了。
A: How could you miss the bus?
你怎么能错过公共汽车呢?
B: I hurried to get to the bus stop only to find I didn't have enough change to pay the fare.
我赶到公共汽车站却发现没带够付车费的零钱。
A: I'm sorry to hear that.
很遗憾。
B: I had to go back home and get some change and wait for the next bus.
我只好回家拿钱再等下一班车。