Lesson13
- 上一课
- 下一课
- 下载
- 报错
3. Could You Explain a Little More
你能再解释一下吗
A: What do you think is harder, reading or writing?
你认为读和写哪个比较难?
B: Well, they’re completely different. Reading is passive, and writing is active.
它们是截然不同的两码事,读是被动的,写是主动的。
A: I don’t think I understand what you mean. Could you explain a little more?
我不知道你说的是什么意思,能不能再给我稍微解释一下?
B: In reading you need to recognize language by seeing the words on the page and knowing what they are. In writing you have to produce language, you have to create your own words on a blank page.
阅读是认识纸上现有的语言文字,而写作是在白纸上用自己的话创造语言。
A: Oh, now I see what you mean. When you’re reading, you are just looking, but when you are writing, you are actually doing something!
哦,我明白你的意思了。读只是浏览,而写却是创造。
B: A reading knowledge of a language is larger and different from a writing knowledge. Don’t you think so?
一种语言的阅读知识要比写作知识来得广泛而且大不相同。你难道不同意吗?
A: I think I see what you mean. I can read Shakespeare but I definitely can’t write it.
我想我懂你的意思了。我可以阅读莎士比亚的作品,但却写不出来。
B: Exactly.
对极了。
A: So I have another question for you. What do you think is harder, speaking or understanding?
我还有一个问题。你认为听和说哪个比较难?
B: They’re both harder than reading or writing.
两个都比读和写难。
A: In what way?
在哪一方面?
B: Because they are direct communication with another person, and there’s a time limit. This time limit is the most serious problem for foreigners, even for those who know lots of English.
因为他们直接与他人沟通,而且还有时间上的限制。时间上的限制对外国人来说是最严重的问题,甚至对那些懂得很多英文的人也是如此。
A: You are making me feel really discouraged.
你弄得我好泄气。
B: I’m not trying to discourage you. I’m trying to help you. You have to live with these difficulties. Isn’t it better to know about them? The more you know about what you have to face, the better you’ll do. I promise!
我不是在打击你,而是想帮你。你总得面对这些困难,了解了这些困难不是更好吗? 你对要面对的问题了解越多,就会做得越好,我向你保证。
额外成就感
be different from 与……不同
* My opinion is different from yours.
我和你的意见相左。
* City life is very different from country life.
都市生活和乡村生活是非常不同的。
* Chinese culture is very different from American culture.
中美文化存在着很大的差异。
can not see 不明白
* I can not see any difference between them. They’re both handsome!
我看不出他们有什么差别,他们都很英俊!
* I can’t see why she’s so against the idea.
我不明白她为何如此反对这个意见。
live with 接受;承认;忍受
* Can you live with this arrangement?
你能接受这样的安排吗?
* You must learn to live with the fact that you are getting old.
你必须学会接受你渐渐变老这个事实。
* I don’t enjoy the situation, but I can live with it.
我不喜欢这样的情形,但我能够忍受。