Lesson44
- 上一课
- 下一课
- 下载
- 报错
5. Let’s Make the Most of Our Weekend
周末狂想曲
BACKGROUND 背景
Two friends decide to go to New York for a weekend of fun.
两个朋友决定到纽约去过周末。
A: Hi, Kim. I can’t believe that the summer is almost over.
嗨,金姆。我真不能相信这个夏天就要过去了。
B: I know. Time flies!
是啊。光阴似箭。
A: Friday is a holiday. Let’s take advantage of the long weekend. Do you want to go to New York? We could leave Thursday night and spend the whole weekend in the city.
星期五放假。让我们好好利用一下这个长周末。想不想去纽约?我们可以星期四晚上走,整个周末都呆在那里。
B: Okay. But I’d rather go on Friday. I have to get my car fixed on Thursday.
好啊,不过我想星期五走,我星期四要把车修好。
A: All right. We can take turns driving.
好吧,我们可以轮流开车。
B: Fine. We won’t get so tired that way.
不错,这样我们就不会太累。
A: I’m looking forward to seeing New York. I’ve never been there, but I have always wanted to go.
我真盼望看到纽约啊。我从来没去过,但一直就想去。
B: I haven’t either. Let’s make the most of our weekend.
我也是。让我们尽情享受周末吧。
A: We can go sightseeing during the day. In the evening we can go to a play. Do you think we can get tickets?
我们白天可以去观光。晚上就去看表演。你说我们会买到票吗?
B: I don’t think we stand a chance. It’s hard to get tickets on weekends. Anyway, we can try.
我想我们买不到。周末买票太难了。不管怎样,还是试一下吧。
A: It doesn’t matter. There are hundreds of things to do in New York, especially during a holiday.
不要紧。纽约有那么多事可做呢,尤其是在周末。
B: You’re right! Whatever we do, we are sure to have good time.
对!不管我们做什么,都会玩得很尽兴的。
A: Great! I can’t wait until Friday!
太好了!我盼着快到星期五!
额外成就感
take advantage of something: to use something for one’s own benefit 利用;占便宜☆☆☆☆
* Let’s take advantage of this wonderful weather and go to the beach.
让我们好好享受这大好天气,去海边玩吧。
* I want to take advantage of this coupon before it expires. We can get a discount at KFC.
我想在这个优惠券到期之前把它用了。我们可以去肯德基吃打折套餐。
* I think your boss really takes advantage of you by making you work over time every night and every weekend!
我觉得你的老板让你每天晚上和周末加班是在利用你!
take turns: do something alternately with other persons 依次、轮流☆☆☆
* There is only one dictionary, so we have to take turns using it.
这儿就有一本字典,那我们就轮流用吧。
* My husband and I take turns doing the dishes every night.
我丈夫和我每天轮流洗碗。
* Our children go to the same school so we take turns picking them up.
孩子们都在同一所学校读书,所以我们可以轮流去接他们。
* If we take turns driving, the trip will go much faster.
如果我们轮流开车,就会快点到达。
look forward to something: anticipate with pleasure
盼望;期待☆☆☆☆
* I’ve been working hard; I look forward to my vacation this year.
我一直以来都在拼命工作,我盼着今年的假期快快到来。
* I always look forward to the New Year.
我总是盼着新年快快到来。
* I’m really looking forward to seeing you again.
我真的很想再见到你。
make the most of something: do the best one can in a situation; get as much as possible out of it 充分利用☆☆☆☆
* You made the most of your three days in Beijing. I think you saw everything there.
你在北京的三天过得很充实。我想你该看的都看了吧。
* He never made the most of his education, he just wasted his degree.
他从没有充分利用所受的教育,白白浪费了学位。
* I like to make the most of my time on the bus by studying English.
我想充分利用在车上的时间来学习英语。
stand a chance: have the possibility 有可能;有机会☆☆☆
* Jim wants a scholarship to Harvard but he doesn’t stand a chance of getting one.
吉姆想拿哈佛大学的奖学金,但是不太可能。
* I don’t think their marriage stands a chance. All they ever do is fight.
我觉得他们的婚姻长不了,他们总是吵架。
* Do we stand a chance of getting a ticket, or are they sold out?
我们有希望买到票吗,还是已经卖完了?